![]() |
| Healthy and sassy as ever |
Even though Tony is perfectly fine, he is getting the winter off. No body clipping, no blankets, just going fuzzy and feral. Why, you ask? Because of this:
![]() |
| Mirror selfie pros already |
I have a new horse! This is the first horse that I have ever been officially, legally responsible for. My name is on a contract. I do not own him, but have taken him on as a care lease for 6 months. It al happened very fast. So I'll tell his story.
Lines 29 (pronounced "Linus"), is a 21-year-old Westfalen (Westphalian-why all the different spellings?) gelding. Several years ago, I saw him for sale, showed his ad to my trainer, and commented on how handsome he was. I don't particularly like gray horses, and his build is not one I'm usually drawn to, but for some reason he caught my eye. Buying a horse was definitely not in the cards, so I just kept an eye on his career after he sold.
His current owner is amazing. She's a young trainer, just now starting her own business. She took Lines from first level to Prix St Georges over the last few years. She now has a very nice three-year-old, and is working with some very nice horses with an upper level trainer/breeder in our area. Lines is her baby, but it came to the point where it was best for both of them to move on- her to bringing up her young horse and work on her business, and him to find an adult amateur wanting to work up the levels and able to shower an older horse with love and cookies. She posted him for sale.
I saw his ad and thought how lucky someone will be to get to have Lines in their life. My trainer, G, sent me the ad and I said something along the lines of "Aww, Lines! Too bad I can't buy a horse." Then she pointed me to the last line of the ad. "Possible short term lease to the perfect situation," and said "YOU are the perfect situation."
That was on a Monday. By Wednesday, Lines' owner and I were seriously discussing contracts and insurance. The barn I ride out of has an excellent reputation for care and training. It may not be the fanciest facility, but the horses are meticulously cared for, and want for nothing, so his owner felt good about sending him there.
I arranged to go see Lines on Friday. I thought we'd just go down, try him out and chat with the owner, but G suggested taking the trailer down. Just in case, you know?
It was a really, really long ride down. There was an accident and we were stuck in the worst traffic ever. We were over an hour late by the time we got to the owner's barn. I felt terrible!
I thought I'd watch the owner ride and then hop on and try Lines out. But no. We threw tack on the horse and tossed me up. And then I had to perform with the owner and her trainer watching me. Talk about nerve-wracking! I was afraid to take up contact or push or pull on anything too hard for fear his owner would think it wasn't a good match. After 15 minutes of a subpar ride where I don't think I really had him round at all, G said she would walk Lines out while we signed contracts. And that's how I got an FEI (lease) horse!
![]() |
| Trainer kept saying that it was okay to take a feel. Haha, nope! |
It took a bit to get Lines in the trailer. He didn't want to leave. It was rough. But we finally got it done, took him home, and tucked him in. He settled in wonderfully, and is right at home at the barn. He has been so wonderful for the last week and a half. My confidence is going up, and I am so excited to actually learn how to ride dressage! First lesson tomorrow, so I'll definitely have a recap for that!
![]() |
| Such a handsome face! |




Wow! How lucky are you?! Congratulations, that is awesome! Tony should enjoy his vacation. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you. What an amazing experience.
ReplyDelete