A month and a half ago, I had never ridden a half pass, a medium gait, or a (purposeful) counter canter. I had never felt what upper-level dressage was supposed to feel like. I mean, I'd never even felt 2nd level- correct shoulder in and changes of lead through the walk. Now, I've got this incredible horse, one that knows far more than I do about this whole dressage thing. It's intimidating.
 |
| At least we look cute. Well, he does anyway. |
But every day, I slog through. Often on my own in the evening, after I've worked a full day and then worked turn in at the barn (to afford board, which just went up again). No one is around and I push myself. Some days I feel like a dressage rider and some days I feel like a sack of potatoes riding an albino giraffe. Some days I have help from my trainer. I can't afford more than a lesson every other week or so (plus, I just don't have the time), and even then, I'm "paying" for my lessons by illustrating my trainer's book (which she is
supposed to be working on).
 |
| We're dressaging! |
We look a little better every week. I've been struggling with saddle fit (boo), and the saddle fitter was out last week and the visit wasn't super helpful (basically, the two saddles I have won't work. My trainer's saddle fits Lines well, but I sit terribly in it! Guess I'll be using it though).
I really need to get some new media- the pictures here are from a couple weeks ago, and I've been working on bringing his back up and neck down and control within the gaits. Hopefully I can convince my husband to come out and take pictures soon!
 |
| Pretty in pink! But oh so hollow through the back. It's better now, I swear! |
Dressage is hard. Affording to ride is hard. Our board is going up too! But...you two look amazing! What a fabulous opportunity you have taken on and good job for working so hard at it.
ReplyDelete