Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

We Be Pirates. Arrrr.

Suffice to say, Tony and I have had some pretty rough rides over the years.

One of my favorite shows to go to every year is a Halloween themed dressage and jumping show a local trainer holds at the fairgrounds on October. We went to our first one three Octobers ago, and people still remember our ride. For quite a long time after that ride, people would realize who I was when I told them I was the pirate. "Yeah, that pirate..."

Tony used to have a major bolting problem. Like, really bad. I went home and cried after more rides than I'd care to remember. I tried to get him out places and get him exposed anyway. I mean, there's walls, right? We can't go too far...

For the 2013 Halloween show, we entered a few Training Level classes. We even donned a sweet pirate for the costume class, because why not?

If you Google "Haflinger pirate" you'll see us. Although, why would anyone Google "Haflinger Pirate?"
Our first test was fine. Not great...about what you'd expect from an overly-strong green horse and a moderately competent adult amateur. We got something in the area of 60%. We saved ourselves from embarrassment! But we had one more test to go...I'll just let it speak for itself:


Yeah. I stayed on. Yay! But I had absolutely zero control from the time we exited at B, to after the video cuts out (spoiler alert, he runs up to the judge and halts).

And that's why people remember us. Every once in a while, someone will still bring it up. I guess there are worse things to be known for, right? Right!?


via GIPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment