So trainer G and I discovered in my lesson this week that I have a "type." G hadn't ridden Lines yet, and I really wanted her to get on and get a feel for him so we can have a plan of action for our lessons. Turns out that Lines can be a little bit of a bully. He doesn't always respect the bit, and he doesn't want to move over when you put your leg on. Having ridden Tony for a few years now, I am just amazed that any horse will move its butt over even a little bit. Turns out a little bit isn't enough. I am not holding Lines up to a high enough standard. G says that if I blow on him, he should be moving across the arena.
 |
| At least he's super cute, even if he's not reaching for contact... |
So I need to be doing lots and lots of downward transitions and leg yields in all gaits to get him respecting the bit. Once you can do that, he is much more supple and maneuverable. My first lesson with G on him, I could barely control the canter. Partly because I am so tense in the canter myself from years of defensive riding on Tony, and partly because I didn't have Lines respecting the bit. He wants to blow through my aids a bit.
I'll be doing some experimenting with getting Lines more supple and respectful, and then I'm hoping we can start moving up! Turns out he is not so unlike a certain golden pony in attitude. I joked that he's like a more schooled Tony (extended trot on the circle instead of cantering for one thing), and really it's not that far off. So it's super good practice. I do want Tony to move up at least a few levels, and learning to ride on Lines will give me lots of tools for how to get more out of my pony.
 |
| Selfie attempts...more difficult with a tall horse turns out... |
 |
| Especially when he's trying to lick your face |
There's always so much to learn!
ReplyDelete