Thankfully, I do not own Tony, so I don't have to pay for his board, feet, or vet bills. I provide his grain and pay for any training/lessons/shows/outings/etc. That's huge, and I am super grateful to his owners (family friends I've known forever). It means I can spend a little on "extras" because my entire income isn't going into just keeping my horse alive. I still don't have much to spend on horsey things, so I've gotten really good at finding a good deal. My entire show outfit was bought at extremely discounted prices.
Let's start with the show coat. I was at the Chilliwack Horse Expo in B.C. in 2014, and there on the end of a rack at one of the first vendor booths was a beautiful show coat. It had new technical fabric, cute bit details on the zipper pulls, and just looked so pretty. First, I looked at the size. There were only two jackets, and one was my size! Score #1! Then, the price. Retail said $299, but it was marked down to...wait for it...$60! There was no way it wasn't coming home with me.
![]() |
| Goode Rider Ideal Show Coat |
I own two pairs of white breeches. Who ever decided that white breeches was a good idea for horse shows? Ridiculous. Anyway, one pair is maybe Ovation, or Devon Aire, or a basic cotton breech of some kind. Bought from a friend for a low price. Like $20 or something. My other pair is my one pair of FITS. They're pretty see-through, so I have to wear wunderbreeches under them, but hey, they're FITS! Got those suckers for $90 from a Facebook tack sale group. I don't know that I love them enough to buy a bunch for schooling, but they are pretty nice.
![]() |
| Yay! I can be a baboon butt too! |
![]() |
| Cream looks so good on the fluffy pony. |
![]() |
| Not me, but we feel the same way...I should be smiling, right? I feel slightly uncomfortable with you taking my picture right now... |
![]() |
| I do really love the super tall Spanish tops...they make my legs look longer. |
This year, I was needing to buy a new helmet. My Charles Owen GR8 was in its last year, and my dog chewed the corner of the visor a couple years ago, so it was not a pretty sight. I bought an IRH that was ok (new, but had been sitting in a box for a year or so...$70...was a $250+ helmet), but it didn't fit the best. Tack of the Day had Charles Owens a few months ago, and I took a chance on a JR8 for about $100. It's fine. Just a helmet, you know? I've been coveting one of the blinged out OneKs for a while, but couldn't justify the price (see a trend? Yeah, I have no monies). So I blinged my own helmet with Swarovski crystals from Michael's and epoxy. I'm in love with it.
![]() |
| This is a bad photo. It's actually super pretty. |
The only things I purchased at full retail price were my stock tie and white gloves. They're both very basic. I have a prettier stock tie, but I hate the way it fits, so it needs to move on to a new home. My stock pins are blingy brooches from Joann fabric. Yay bling!
Total retail for all of my show gear: Approximately $1,700.
I paid approximately $450. The only things that were used were the FITS and the show shirts, and they looked barely used. No stains, no pilling, nothing.
If you are patient, the deals are out there!






No comments:
Post a Comment