Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2016

State of Affairs


So as it is right now, I tend to ride in the evenings after work when no one is around. It means I have no photos. I really need to bribe my husband into coming down so I can get some new media. I have videos from the JW clinic a couple of weeks ago, but I really felt like we were embracing the suck that weekend, and it's a lot of not super pretty moments. Helpful for me to watch, but not really anything I want out in the world ;)

That's not to say we didn't have any nice moments. We actually did. But I've been having trouble figuring out what I'm doing (I'm very green at this level), and Lines isn't exactly the easiest horse. I am learning so much from him, but he is NOT a push-button schoolmaster! 

See? A decent moment!
At the clinic, I had wanted to work on our changes and see what we can do to improve them (he is late behind and runs off every single time). JW watched a few, tried to give me some tips and basically said to have my trainer work through them with me and my time would be better served doing something else. So the following week, I had G get on after I warmed Lines up so she could get a feel for his changes. Late behind. Every. Single. Time. She tried a few things, and finally we decided that it would be best right now to just ignore the changes and go for 10's on everything else. Perhaps they will improve with some strength building, but we think they won't be improved by schooling them. I watched his competition videos from last season and it's the same there. Late behind. 

With that being the plan, I am working on getting Lines' neck down and relaxed. He has this long swan neck, and on one hand can be sensitive to the curb, but on the other won't put his damn head down (yes, yes, yes...working on getting his back up, hind end under him, correct training, etc.). 

Looking good for an old man!
In other news, I FINALLY found a saddle to fit his weird old man back. I've tried well over 10 on him in the 2.5 months I've had him, and finally settled on a Jaguar XKC. It's got funky upswept panels in the back, which seems to sit well on his back. The seat is slightly small for me at 17.5, but the seat itself isn't terribly deep, so it seems to be working. I'll ride in it another week or so before I make a final decision. 

Not mine, but the same saddle.
And because I am buying a saddle, Lines just had new shoes put on, and board was due: 
True story. The struggle is real.
And finally, just for funsies:

Onward, noble steed!



No comments:

Post a Comment