Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

2016 Year in Review

I was going to write a month-by-month year in review, but I only posted 33 times over the entire year. Once in January, no posts in February or March. 4 in April and 7 in May, where I thought I'd actually start writing consistently (spoiler alert- I didn't). I didn't post at all in June, I posted a total of 11 times in July through November, and then a record 10 (now 11) times in December. I'm finally getting into blogging now. I really want to do more ride recaps for my future self so I can see where I've come from.

So here's a general recap of the year, not necessarily from the blog and mostly in pictures:

January

Tony feels like a First Level horse for the first time. Here is a quote from my facebook page: 

"Today, Tony felt like a real, live first level horse, plus some moments that made second level feel possible (and not too far off). He got walk-canter transitions to the left for the first time (he can do it to the right pretty consistently), and did canter serpentines a up and down the arena with lead changes through the trot. Who knows if we will be able to recreate it again tomorrow, but today I'm happy!"

February:

We plod along at home in the outdoor arena with bad footing. We get a few okay rides in. Winter sucks.

March:

We try Working Equitation for the first time. Tony is overly excited about lancing the bull. He is mostly good. Observers judge us for using a double bridle. I mentally tell them to screw off. Strong/spooky horse + obstacles + other horses in the ring + lots of people in the ring = better safe than sorry. 

April:

We attend our first schooling show/ride and review of the season and earn a 66 and 68%. We feel on top of the world. Judge tells us if we can control the lateral movement a bit more, we could be looking at 2nd level.

May:

First ever Jessica Wisdom clinic. I am nervous. But it was a success. Tony was amazing.

June:

Karen Pavicic clinic. Tony's really feeling like a dressage horse. We're out doing the things and being awesome. Start feeling extra depressed second half of June. Lose lots of motivation.

July:

Power through the first half of the month to make it to our first rated show. I thought Tony was great. Our scores did not reflect that. A few sub-60 scores and some snarky comments brought on disappointment. Still happy with the pony. He was a good, broke pony and felt great.
A week after the show, I had intense pain while farm-sitting. Rushed to ER, had appendix out. Went home the next day. No riding for the next month. Get even more depressed.

August:

Scrape myself together to ride Tony in another Jessica Wisdom clinic. He was great. I don't remember a lot of it. I was on a lot of drugs, this being the first weekend I am allowed to ride again after my appendectomy. 


Go to the beach with a friend and ride her horse. Mostly just relax and enjoy a vacation. Feeling extra depressed. I pretty much don't ride for the rest of the month.

September:

On September 1st, we were in a major car accident on the way home from Seattle. I sprain my wrist pretty badly. I ride Tony maybe once a couple weeks after the accident, and then go to a schooling show. It's not a disaster, but it wasn't good. Scores in the 50s. Once again, on a lot of drugs so I don't feel the pain in my hand. Things aren't going well.


I bring this guy home on September 16, and am forced to ride again. My motivation starts to come back and my mood starts to improve. After a pretty sucky summer full of hospitals and bills and car problems, finally something good. 

October:

I start learning to actually ride dressage. Lessons with my trainer and JW. I'm broke, but not broken, and finding joy in life again.

November:

 More of the same. Another JW clinic. I momentarily lose my half pass. It comes back better than before. Saddle searching sucks. 

December: 

I find a decent saddle. Lines is much happier. We start improving more. A trip to JW's barn for some lessons helps me learn how to actually keep my leg on and stop riding so defensively (a bad habit from Tony).



I realize I miss Tony like crazy and am excited to start back up with him in the spring when the days are longer. I am healing in both body and mind and feel ready to build our relationship back up.

5 comments:

  1. An up and down year, but I'm glad things are back on the up and you are excited about next year. I'm looking forward to what you do with Tony and Lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are looking up and I'm looking forward to 2017!

      Delete
  2. Yah! So glad things are heading in the right direction for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love your new header photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely needed a change! New year, new header ;)

      Delete