Pages

Friday, December 16, 2016

My Other "Hobby"

I'd say my two hobbies aren't really hobbies, as much as they're a real part of my lifestyle. You can't just set horses down and pick them up later (well, you can, but I know from experience that it's tough). They kind of take over your entire life.

My other "hobby" is art. My dream is to have my own studio and to make a living between commissions/artwork sales and private art classes. Someday! For now, I take on a few commissioned drawings a year. I don't have a ton of time to devote to drawing anymore with a full-time job and the horses, but I try to fit it in when I can (lunch breaks, after dinner while watching tv, etc). 

One of my favorites that is sadly no longer in my possession. 
My favorite part about creating these portraits for people is their reaction upon receiving them (although I don't often actually give them in person). Many times there are tears, often with memorial portraits and people remembering their horses or pets that have been lost. 
One of the few times I've seen my trainer cry was when she opened this.
The holiday season is my busiest, with orders being sent across the country. I didn't take on very many this year, as I knew I wouldn't have the time or energy to put into a ton of drawings, but I think I'm ending up doing 5 or 6, plus a couple of Secret Santa things and I always give away a drawing in the barn Christmas party gift exchange.

 So, that's what I do with all of that "free time" I have (hah. hah.). Shameless plug for my website: emilydieleman.com . And more pretty pictures, because it's too cold to ride right now!
Tony!
Justice, the horse I rode in college.
Another dog. This one I kept and it travels to art fairs and such with me,
One of the few of my drawings that I still own. Another art fair traveler.

I also do these fun Paint Your Pony events where I sketch out a horse (or other creatures...I've done cats, dogs, goats, parrots...), and then guide people through painting it. It's super fun and everyone's always turns out nice!
Tony again!

9 comments:

  1. I really really want to do "paint your pony!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JW wants to set one up down near her...it's at least a little closer to you!

      Delete
    2. True! Keep me posted when that happens. Maybe I can haul Emi up for some lessons and paint my pony at the same time.

      Delete
    3. Double fun for me- teach Paint Your Pony AND meet Emi :)

      Delete
  2. Those are awesome! I love your paint your pony night idea, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's SO fun! I love teaching it.

      p.s. Thanks for the gifts! Post coming soon :)

      Delete
  3. I am always really jealous of people who can draw really well. I wish I could, but man, I just CAN'T. Those drawings are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete